RMF’s White Collar Defense and Investigations Group represents large and small businesses, C-Suite officers and other executives, boards, board committees, public servants, professionals and other individuals in criminal and regulatory prosecutions, actions and investigations. The senior members of the group are former prosecutors with first-hand knowledge of how investigations are conducted and how members of law enforcement develop cases, providing essential assistance to our clients embroiled in the process.
The proper response to a crisis can preserve the viability of an organization and maintain an individual’s liberty. The ability of our White Collar Group to draw on the skills of other attorneys within the firm as the need arises is an essential aspect of their success; collaborating with transactional attorneys with expertise in particular industries provides an added element that typical criminal defense firms do not possess. For that reason, our White Collar lawyers often collaborate with other law firms that lack those capabilities.
Our White Collar capabilities include:
- Federal and state trials
- Administrative proceedings
- Grand Jury and other criminal and regulatory investigations
- Electronic discovery
- Crisis management
- Internal investigations
- Insider trading
- Health care fraud
- Law firm and attorney defense
- Professional licensee defense
- Privacy and cybersecurity
- Public corruption
- Securities and Exchange Commission investigations and enforcement actions
- U.S. False Claims Act allegations
- U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Compliance, risk management and corporate governance
All of our White Collar attorneys understand the importance of managing a crisis on multiple fronts, which may include criminal, regulatory and civil components. RMF has developed relationships with forensic accountants, public relations experts, cyber and computer forensic firms and investigators to supplement and enhance our representation of clients as needed.
Our attorneys are particularly adept at representing professional licensees, who face severe collateral consequences when convicted or even charged with a criminal offense and require special care.
- Obtained dismissal of federal charges related to the purported illegal import of foreign products designed to kill coronavirus during the COVID pandemic.
- Represented municipality involved in New York Attorney General public corruption investigation.
- Successfully represented CFO of a not-for-profit entity and avoided charges in an investigation by the Charities Bureau of the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
- Internal investigation on behalf of audit committee of a public company in connection with insider trading allegations by a board member.
- Represented foreign business person in a U.S. Senate Select Committee investigation.
- Represented senior executive charged with insider trading.
- Conducted internal investigation concerning massive HIPAA breach intentionally caused by an employee of a large medical practice.
- Disclosure to federal government at conclusion of internal investigation concerning potential False Claims Act violations for improper medical billing, resulting in no action being taken against client medical practice.
- Defended attorney charged with multiple criminal violations of the Judiciary Law, avoiding criminal convictions and maintaining the lawyer’s law license.
- Managed internal investigation into alleged sexual misconduct by not-for-profit board member.
- Negotiated dismissal of federal charges against physician for prescribing opioids.
- Resolved investigation of the CEO of large not-for-profit under investigation for falsifying business records without arrest.
- Defended attorney charged with stealing money from client escrow accounts.
- Internal investigation related to sexual harassment and embezzlement by supervisor within a large health system and liaised with law enforcement regarding findings of likely criminal conduct.
- Conducted parallel investigation into potential Department of Defense whistleblower involving investigators from multiple agencies.
- Investigated medical practice’s office manager for theft of funds, resulting in referral to law enforcement and subsequent arrest.
- Represented orthopedist investigated by federal authorities for potential violations of the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute and alleged commercial bribery. Multiple meetings with law enforcement personnel resulted in no criminal charges being filed.
- Conducted internal investigation revealing that a medical practice office manager had stolen the identity of a physician and stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars in false medical billing. The resultant referral to law enforcement led to multiple federal charges against the office manager.
- Assisted matrimonial law firm in investigation of apparently hidden marital assets, illuminating fraudulent court disclosures.
Back to Practice Areas Print