RMF conducts complex and sensitive internal investigations for healthcare, banking, manufacturing, energy, retail and other industries, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to not-for-profits. Past investigations have concerned employee embezzlement, allegations of sexual misconduct and other workplace harassment, securities fraud, insider trading, accounting improprieties, cyber security breaches, HIPAA breaches, fraudulent medical billing and potential False Claims Act violations.
RMF’s attorneys conduct these investigations, prepare reports for both internal and external use and, when necessary, collaborate with law enforcement.
• Internal investigation on behalf of audit committee of a public company in connection with insider trading allegations by a board member.
• Conducted internal investigation concerning massive HIPAA breach intentionally caused by an employee of a large medical practice.
• Disclosure to federal government at conclusion of internal investigation concerning potential False Claims Act violations for improper medical billing, resulting in no action being taken against our client.
• Managed internal investigation of alleged sexual misconduct by not-for-profit board member.
• Internal investigation related to sexual harassment and embezzlement by supervisor within a large health system and liaised with law enforcement regarding findings of likely criminal conduct.
• Conducted parallel investigation into potential Department of Defense whistleblower involving investigators from multiple agencies.
• Investigated medical practice’s office manager for theft of funds, resulting in referral to law enforcement and subsequent arrest.
• Conducted internal investigation revealing that a medical practice office manager had stolen the identity of a physician to steal hundreds of thousands of dollars in false medical billing. The resultant referral to law enforcement led to multiple federal charges against the office manager.
• Assisted matrimonial law firm in investigation of apparently hidden marital assets, illuminating fraudulent court disclosures.